As I browsed through the June/July 2014 issue of Saveur, I paused to read about Makhlama Lahm, an Iraqi breakfast with eggs, tomatoes, and lamb. I marked the page and told Matt I was going to make this dish. I ordered ground lamb from Hanisch Farms when they were here in July. I finally had the chance to make this today, along with some homemade naan. We will definitely make it again and I think it’s one of my favorite breakfasts, ever.
If you don’t think you like lamb or haven’t tried it before, this would be a great introduction for you. The dish is rich, satisfying, and just tasty. I can’t say much more, so take a look, read the recipes, order your ground lamb from Hanisch Farms (http://www.hanischfarms.com) for their next delivery, pick up the lamb, onion, parsley, tomatoes, and eggs at Capital City Farmers’ Market, and you’re set for something great.
Many thanks to Saveur and Felicia Campbell for this fantastic breakfast.
Naan Bread (not authentic, but it’s pretty darn great)
– 4 cups white bread flour, plus more for dusting
– 1 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/2 oz yeast
– 1 tsp ground cumin
– 1 tsp sesame seeds
– oil for frying
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and dust with flour. Put 4 cups flour, salt, and yeast in a bowl. Stir. Add just enough water to make a soft dough. For us, this was about 2 cups. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and gently knead a couple times. Sprinkle cumin and sesame seeds on top and knead into dough. Divide into 4 pieces and put on lined baking sheet. Let rest 1 hour.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and flatten into a 9 inch circle, using a rolling pin. Repeat with other three and let rest 5 minutes.
- Heat skillet to medium heat and add a splash of olive oil. Fry each naan until browned on both sides.
Makhlama Lahm (Iraqi Eggs with Lamb & Tomatoes)
– 2 Tbsp olive oil
– 1 lb ground lamb
– 1 yellow onion, chopped
– 1/3 cup minced parsley
– 1 tsp yellow curry powder
– 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
– 2 small tomatoes, cored & roughly chopped
– 4 eggs
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat oil in large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Cook lamb, stirring to break up meat into small pieces, until browned, 4-5 minutes.
- Add onion, cook until soft and lamb starts to get a few crispy bits, 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 parsley, curry powder, cayenne powder, and tomatoes. Salt & pepper to taste. Cook until tomatoes begin to break down, 3-4 minutes.
- Make 4 wells in mixture. Crack 1 egg into each well. Bake until egg whites are set and yolks are runny, about 5 minutes.
- Garnish with remaining parsley and serve with naan bread.