Kohlrabi literally translates to cabbage and turnip. I think it has crunch similar to cucumber and tastes a bit like broccoli stem. Either way, we love it and customers are starting to catch on as well…although many of you have been enjoying kohlrabi for years and keeping the secret to yourself.
We generally just peel, slice, and eat these bad boys. But, you can definitely use them in stir fry (use the leaves as well!), steam them, or even make chips out of them.
Today for lunch, I made a Mexican inspired kohlrabi slaw and served it as a salad with my boring cheese quesadilla. It was so delicious. I really think this slaw would shine with shrimp or grilled chicken tacos. I love it so much!
Mexican Kohlrabi Slaw
* serves 2
- 1 large kohlrabi, peeled and cut into matchsticks (reserve leaves for another use)
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Feta or goat cheese to sprinkle on top
- Toss kohlrabi, red onion, jalapeno, and cilantro into a bowl.
- Add lime juice, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine. Let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with goat cheese or feta and enjoy!