So many of you have asked about my roasted tomato sauce, so here is the recipe. It’s super easy and uber tasty.
- Tomatoes, halved or quartered depending on size
- Fresh herbs, whatever you have on hand: basil, thyme, oregano
- 3 cloves garlic, skin on
- Kosher salt & pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Arrange tomatoes on a foil lined sheet pan.
- Place the herbs on the sheet pan. You can use one or all kinds. If you don’t have any herbs, that’s ok too.
- Add garlic cloves to pan.
- Drizzle generously with olive oil.
- Season with salt & pepper. Sprinkle with sugar…this is literally just a pinch sprinkled across the entire tray.
- Roast for 45 minutes and then check. You may need to roast longer. Juices should have released from the tomatoes and they should be very tender to your touch and starting to brown on the edges.
- If I want to preserve them for a later use, I do one of two things. I’ll simply remove the skins, toss them in a freezer bag, and throw them in the freezer. Or, I run them through a food mill, resulting in the most scrumptious roasted tomato sauce you’ve ever tasted. Ladle into sterilized jars and process in a hot water bath for 35 minutes.