Some of our CSA members have been asking for additional uses for zucchini. What I love about zucchini and summer squash is that they take on whatever flavors you put with them. This particular dish was my brunch today. When Matt got home from scooping tons of rabbit manure to fertilize the garden (BTW, a whole other story…ask Matt about it!), he was cold and wet. After shoving his clothes in the washing machine and taking a hot shower, he dove into this (I made him a new batch) and devoured it. It comes together in just under 30 minutes and will keep you full for a good part of the day.
Zucchini Garbanzo Saute
* serves 2
- olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, smashed and minced
- 1/2 lb zucchini and/or summer squash, sliced into coins about 1/4 inch thick
- Kosher salt & pepper
- 5-7 roasted tomato halves (skins removed) and 1 clove garlic (if available)
- 1 Tbsp adobo from a can of Chipotle in adobo
- 2 leaves kale, stems removed, leaves torn
- 1-2 cups garbanzo beans, really…however much you’d like
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap pita in foil and set aside.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add about 1 Tbsp olive oil. Swirl to coat and add onion. Season with salt & peper. Cook for about a minute and then add garlic. Saute until mixture starts to brown. Remove from pan.
- Put pita in the oven.
- Add another Tbsp olive oil and swirl to coat. Add zucchini/summer squash coins in a single layer. Season with salt & pepper. Cook until browned and then flip over until other side is browned. (see picture below as a guide)
- Once nicely browned, stir onions/garlic mixture back in along with roasted tomatoes and adobo sauce. If you don’t have or don’t like adobo, just add a couple more roasted tomato halves…but trust me, the adobo is delicious!
- Stir in kale. About 30 seconds later, stir in garbanzo beans. Heat everything through. Taste the mixture to see if you want more salt & pepper.
- Remove pita from oven, cut into quarters and serve.
I’ll print out the recipe just in case you need it for reference (although I know you won’t) when you make it for us here!
We would LOVE to make it for you…because that would mean we were in Spain again seeing you!!!